The COVID 19 pandemic has forced us to adopt stringent new measures such as social distancing and quarantine.
This means that we are holed up in the house, unable to go to the gym or even our favorite running track.
If you are one of those people who take physical fitness seriously, you might be struggling with this new normal.
It is important to remember that you don’t need to be in a gym to work out.
There are plenty of exercises that require nothing more than your body weight and some space.
This is especially true when it comes to ab workouts.
We have combed through the internet and come up with a compilation of the best ab workouts (tried and tested) by top trainers.
10 recommendations for abs workouts that you can do at home during COVID 19
1. Spiderman press ups – do 3 sets of 15 reps
Wondering how to build muscle at home without any equipment? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. This exercise is excellent for gaining upper body strength.
It tightens the core, pectoral muscles and the triceps.
- Start by getting into a regular plank position.
- Ensure that your body is in a straight line with your elbows under your shoulders, bent.
- Now perform a push-up, and as you go down, lift your right knee off the ground and bring it to your left elbow.
- Now push back up, returning the right leg to its original position.
- Push down again, and lift your left knee off the ground and bring it to your right elbow.
- Push back up, and this is one rep.
2. Oblique crunches – do 3 sets of 15 reps
The oblique crunch is an exercise the focuses entirely on your core, hitting those abs hard.
If you are looking for a slim waist, this is one of the go-to exercises as it engages the abdominal wall while tightening the core.
This crunch also improves your balance and stabilizes the spine.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent, feet firmly on the floor.
- Place your right hand behind your head with the elbow flaring out.
- Your left hand should be on your side alongside your body, palm down.
- Lift your shoulders off the floor, and as you contract your abs, rotate your body so that your right elbow moves towards your left knee.
- Lower yourself slowly and do 15 reps on one side before switching to the other.
3. Reverse crunches – do 3 sets of 20 reps
The reverse crunch exercises what is commonly known as the ‘six-pack.’
It works on all core muscles, from the obliques to the deep muscles supporting your spine.
- Start by lying on your back, hands on your sides, palm down.
- Ensure that your head and neck remain on the floor.
- Now bend your knees and lift your hips, bringing your knees towards your chest.
- Squeeze your abs at the top and lower your hips until they are near the floor, then repeat.
4. Side planks – do 3 sets of one-minute reps on each side
The side plank is a useful exercise that strengthens the abdominal muscles.
Other than making you look good, these critical muscles also support your back and spine.
It is, therefore, crucial to keep them healthy.
The plank will also strengthen your shoulders, arms, and biceps.
- Begin by lying straight on your right side, feet together.
- Place your right forearm below your shoulder.
- Contract your abs and lift your body off the floor ensuring that you form a straight line from your head to your legs with your weight on your forearm.
- Hold this position for one minute and try not to drop the hips.
- After one minute is over return to the floor slowly and do the same on the other side.
5. Russian twists – do 3 sets of 25 reps
The Russian twist is a total core exercise that will also work on your obliques and strengthen your spine.
When done correctly, this move will trim your waistline and remove those unsightly love handles.
- Begin by sitting on the floor with your legs straight out
- Lean back slightly and lift your legs off the floor forming a V shape
- Tighten your core and move your torso from side to side while keeping your legs still
- To add some tension, hold a weight with your hands as you turn from side to side.
- If you would like to modify, do the same but with your feet planted on the floor.
6. Leg lifts – do 3 sets of 20 reps
The leg lift is a potent strength exercise that uses the abdominal muscles to stabilize the body.
This makes it useful in toning the abs and building multiple muscles.
- Start by lying on your back, hands on your sides, palms down.
- Exhale and lift your legs, knees locked, keeping your core engaged.
- Hold for about 15 seconds (or longer) and bring the legs back down slowly to make one rep.
7. Alternating toe reach
This ab exercise is not difficult to do, but it packs a punch when it comes to strengthening the core.
It is also ideal for stretching the lower back and the hamstrings.
- Start by lying on your back with your arms straight out on the floor at shoulder level.
- Lift your legs, stopping at about a 45-degree angle.
- Now lift your right leg higher, and raise your torso to have your left hand touch your right toes.
- Bring them back and now lift your left leg, reaching for it with your right hand to make one rep.
8. Lying wind shield wipers
This is an excellent exercise for your hip joint muscles.
We would also not include it if it didn’t do wonders for your abs.
It will strengthen your core, obliques as well as the spine.
- Start by sitting on the floor with your legs stretched out.
- Now adjust and sit on your tailbone, lean back slightly and prop your upper body with your forearms.
- Without moving your upper body and with slow movements, lift your legs and arch them in a half-circle to your right side.
- Reverse the move and now bend them to the left side to make one rep.
- Ensure that you keep your core engaged the whole time.
You should check out the muscle building at home guide, for some more top ideas on staying fit during lockdown.
9. Side plank dips – do 3 sets of 20 reps on each side
This exercise is similar to the side planks you did earlier.
The only difference is that this time instead of holding a steady pose, you will dip your hip up and down with your core engaged.
Similarly, this move will strengthen your obliques and transverse abs, and also give you a slim waist.
- Start with a left side plank position, hips off the mat, body in a straight line, supported by your left forearm.
- For better balance, place your right leg on top of the right and your right hand on our waist.
- Now lower your hips a few inches to the ground, then come back up to make one rep.
- Finish 20 reps and turn on your right side and repeat the same.
10. Mountain climbers – do 3 sets of 20 reps
Our last exercise in these COVID 19 ab workouts is the mountain climber.
Mountain climbers are a versatile exercise that not only works on the abs but also doubles up as cardio.
This ensures that you burn some fat while at it.
- Start in a high plank position with your arms straight and legs stretched straight back.
- Ensure that you are in a straight line from the head to your heels.
- Now bring your right knee forward towards your left elbow.
- Return the leg to the start position as you bring your left knee to your right elbow to make one rep.
- Repeat the movement as fast as you can.
One of the aftermaths of COVID 19 is that the inactivity and sedentary lifestyle can cause an increase in body fat.
One of the first places to show body fat is often the belly area.
To ensure that this does not happen, use these ten ab exercises to keep your belly flat and ab muscles popping.
To help you develop a six-pack or maintain the one you already have, we recommend that you incorporate some muscle building supplements.
These are dietary supplements designed to work alongside your workout routine to help burn fat and carve out those muscles1.
Here are our three top recommendations for muscle building supplements:
Mass Extreme is a mix of potent but natural ingredients that promise to increase your muscle mass by 96%.
It relies on a patented formula that comprises of Pro-Growth and Massive Testo Activator, a combination that accelerates the growth of muscle mass.
Mass Extreme will also give you energy and stamina to blast even the most extreme of workouts.
By taking four capsules per day, this supplement will sculpt your abs without causing you any side effects.
Somatodrol is a bodybuilding supplement that will boost your growth hormone by 26% and also increase your testosterone levels.
The formula relies on two powerful amino acids, β-alanine, and arginine, to attain these results.
It also increases your energy, reduces fatigue, and accelerates fat burning.
Somatodrol has no side effects and has been used by numerous athletes to build muscle before significant athletic events.
Titanodrol is the secret you have been looking for to build bigger muscles fast.
This muscle builder works by stimulating your body’s production of testosterone and the growth hormone.
These two hormones elevate your workouts to increase your muscle growth by 32% and your energy levels by 67%.
Titanodrol does not contain any harmful substances but relies on natural ingredients to give you pure muscles and a ripped physique.
You May Like;
- Boutcher, Stephen H. “High-intensity intermittent exercise and fat loss.” Journal of obesity 2011 (2010). http://downloads.hindawi.com/journals/jobes/2011/868305.pdf