Doctor Diagnose Erectile Dysfunction

How Would Your Doctor Diagnose Erectile Dysfunction?

Have you ever thought about how a doctor would diagnose something like erectile dysfunction? Learn more about the clinical protocol to stay in the loop.

Quick summary

  • To diagnose erectile dysfunction (ED), consult your primary care doctor or family physician, who may refer you to a specialist such as a urologist, endocrinologist, psychiatrist, or relationship therapy specialist depending on the suspected cause.
  • Diagnosis of ED typically involves a physical exam, blood tests, urine tests, ultrasound, and psychological exam to identify any underlying health conditions or psychological factors.
  • Alongside prescribed medications, consider using natural erection booster pills like Male Extra, Max Performer, Vigrx Plus, and Viasil to enhance penile health without the side effects of chemical drugs.

Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is a medical condition in which a male cannot get/sustain an erection long enough and hard enough to engage in intercourse.

Often, ED is caused by an underlying medical condition or mental factors like stress in work, relationships, or depression.

It could also be a side effect of certain medications or a cause of some physical factors like obesity and others.

Many men find it embarrassing to discuss their ED issues and avoid sex altogether. This could lead to unhappiness, dissatisfaction, and even break-ups in relationships.

A doctor can find out the underlying cause of your ED and suggest the right treatment. Read on to know more about on your doctor is going to figure this out.

Who is the expert?

While Google is the new-age expert on all our health concerns today, it is wise and advisable to seek proper medical help. But, which specialist to consult in case of ED?

The first person to consult in case of ED should be your primary care doctor/family physician. As many factors contribute to ED, your primary care doctor will be able to refer you to the right specialist.

There they might ask you questions about your relationships, mental health, and stress to rule out psychological factors. If it is a personal or work-related issue, the doctor might ask you to consult a psychiatrist or relationship therapy specialist.

If the problem is physiological, then the doctor might refer you to a urologist or an endocrinologist. There you will receive various questions about your past medical history to determine a treatment regime.

How is erectile dysfunction diagnosed?

In most cases, a physical exam and past medical history are enough to diagnose ED.

If your doctor suspects an underlying health condition or if you have a history of chronic health conditions, your doctor may carry out certain tests to find out the exact cause of your ED.

These tests includes:

  • Physical Exam: A careful examination of the penis and testicles is done to check the sensations of the nerves.
  • Blood Tests: Blood tests may be done to check for signs of diabetes, heart diseases, hormonal imbalances, or any other health conditions.
  • Urine Tests: A urine test may be done to check for signs of diabetes or any other reproductive disease.
  • Ultrasound: This test is done to check the blood flow problems in the male genitalia.
  • Psychological Exam: This is done to find out signs of stress, anxiety, depression, or other possible psychological factors leading to ED.

What to use alongside other medications for ED?

Suppose your doctor has put you on medications for ED citing specific underlying causes. In that case, you must know that these are all chemical drugs.

While you can be on these medications to treat your main causes, you can also take some natural erection booster pills to enhance your penile health.

These are herbal concoctions made from 100% organic substances procured from pharmaceutical-grade sources and combined in a clinical dosage to boost your sexual health.

Some of the best supplements are Male Extra, Max Performer, Vigrx Plus, and Viasil. The natural performance-boosting qualities of these pills help you get/sustain your erections.


There could be various reasons responsible for ED. You should first consult your primary care doctor to find out the underlying cause of your ED. Depending on the grounds, your doctor will ask you to see an endocrinologist, urologist, or psychiatrist.

This specialist doctor will determine the treatment regime based on the gravity of the disorder or factor triggering ED.

Even when you are on allopathic medication for ED, consider using natural erection booster pills to enhance your penis health.

Written by Lukas Weier
Fact Checked by Experts
Kryolife Health

All Kryolife Health’s content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure that it is as accurate as possible.

We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to other reputable media sites, educational institutions, and, whenever possible, peer-reviewed studies.

If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through the feedback form on this page.

No, thank you. I do not want.
100% secure your website.